In this article, Dr Amy L. Sherman explores how one CEO’s changing view of his employees has re-shaped his organisational culture.
Once you’ve read it, try reflecting on the questions below with your own workplace in mind.
Questions for reflection
- Which word best sums up how you and your organisation think about the people who work there – workforce, employees, staff, workers, etc. – and what underlying values and beliefs does this reveal?
- How does this affect your attitudes and actions towards each other? Can you think of specific examples – practices, policies, structures, etc. – that demonstrate this?
- What difference would it make to your attitudes and actions to begin to see these people as ‘somebody’s precious child’? How would this affect the examples you thought of?
- What, if anything, stands in the way of you adopting this perspective?
- How might you begin to shape your workplace culture in response?
We’d love to hear your thoughts and reflections – do add your own comments below.